Daniel has been a valued client of ours for the last few years and his R34 Skyline is his pride and joy. Dan came into us a while back with plans to rebuild his RB25DET Neo engine for more power; his overall power goal was 500hp at the rear wheels. After having a chat about his budget and what he actually wanted to do with the car, we managed to twist his arm into building an RB30 bottom end. Because Dan wanted decent power with a fun street-able amount of punch, we thought the 3 litre platform was going to provide the best solution for low down torque as well as an easy 500hp on a low boost setting. After a lot of planning, some calculations for compression ratio and ordering a truck load of parts in from Japan, USA and Australia, we got onto the building process. First off we found a donor engine from a VL Commodore, stripped it down and found the crank was too far out and the block had already been poorly over-bored in a previous build. Our aim was to keep the crankshaft at a standard size to ensure the factory nitriding of the crankshaft wasn’t effected, we also didn’t want to go much further than 20thou oversize on the piston size so we decided to hunt around for yet another engine block. A few weeks later, another block was sourced, stripped, checked and sent off for machining. We tap out the oil gallery plugs before we send the blocks away, this enables us to use tapered plugs instead of the factory knock-in type plugs… This means less likely of cracking the block on installation (yes we’ve seen it happen before) plus provides us with a better quality, leak free seal. Our machining plans for this engine weren’t anything unusual for our builds, acid wash the block, bore and hone with a torque plate, line hone the main tunnels with the new studs, crack testing and polishing of the crankshaft and a full rotating assembly balance. Once the machining was finished, it’s back to PZP for intense amount of cleaning, re-cleaning and again a bit more cleaning. We use long engine cleaning brushes and pay special attention to all of the oil galleries, feeds to the main caps, oil pump channels and everything in between. After cleaning we give the engine a few coats of engine enamel, knock in some core plugs then the assembly begins. All clearances are checked, piston rings are filed to our specifications and the bare block starts to come to form with all of the new goodies. In this build we used Mahle Motorsport Forged Pistons with hard anodized skirts and coated crowns. We also used Manley Turbo Tuff H-Beam connecting rods with ARP 2000 fasteners, ACL race series bearings and of course everything held into place with ARP main studs. So that’s the end of part 1, we’re currently waiting on the cylinder head to be completed so stay tuned for part 2.